Energy Efficiency Tips
Energy Saving Tips for Consumers and Businesses
- Install a programmable thermostat to keep a building comfortably warm in the winter and comfortably cool in the summer.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs with the ENERGY STAR® label.
- Turn off your computers, monitors and other equipment when not in use.
- Lower the thermostat on your hot water heater to 120°F.
- Take short showers instead of baths.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Add insulation to your attic.
- Add caulk or weather stripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.
- Insulate and repair all air ducts.
- Consider buying a laptop for your next computer upgrade; they use much less energy than desktop computers.
- Clean or replace furnace, air-conditioner, and heat-pump filters
- Replace aging, inefficient appliances. Even if the appliance has a few useful years left, replacing it with a top-efficiency model is generally a good investment. Look for the ENERGY STAR® label on all appliances.
- On hot days, avoid using the oven; cook on the stove, use a microwave oven, or grill outside.
- If you never use your fireplace, plug and seal the chimney flue.
- Use light-emitting diode—or "LED"—holiday light strings to reduce the cost of decorating your home or business for the winter holidays.
- Plant trees or shrubs so they shade air conditioning units and do not block the airflow. A unit operating in the shade uses as much as 10% less electricity than the same one operating in the sun.
- Install energy efficient windows and doors.
- »Industry Experts, Local Officials Conclude Input on Guidance for Solar Projects
- »Duke Energy Launches My Home Energy Report
- »Lime Energy Inks its First NC Deal with Progress
- »Energy Star homes accounted for 26% of new construction in 2012
- »NCSEA Announces 2012 NC Clean Energy Industries Census
- »North Carolina to Become More Energy Efficient State Following Recovery Act Grants
- »2014 Making Energy Work Annual Conference
- »2014 Annual Sustainable Energy Conference
- »City of Raleigh Environmental Awards Program
- »Sustain Charlotte's 3rd Annual Community Sustainability Awards + Earth Day Celebration
- »Planning and Zoning for Solar in NC: Live Webinar
- »Best Practice Code-Compliant PV System Design
- »Introduction to PV System Design & Construction (NABCEP)
- »Distributed Solar East - 2014
- »The Next Generation of Housing - CE for REALTORS
- »Community-based Landfill Gas Development Workshop
- »American Solar Energy Society 43rd annual National Solar Conference
- »The Southeast Alternative Fuels Conference & Expo