Clean Transportation for All Campaign Representative
Organization: Sierra Club
Date Posted: 1/3/2019
City: Washington, D.C. or Oakland, CA
Country: United States
Primary Category: Electric Vehicles
Type of Position: Full-Time
Education Requirement: Bachelor's
Experience Requirement: 3 years
How to Apply
Description and Detail
Oil use constitutes 40% of US carbon emissions, and we burn the vast majority of oil with our cars and trucks. A widespread switch to plug-in electric vehicles (EVs), including cars, trucks, and buses, is one vital way to slash oil use and emissions in the US. Coupled with clean electricity, EVs will help us achieve a 100% clean energy future. Clean transportation solutions that get people out of vehicles altogether and onto transit, bikes, and feet will also help us achieve clean transportation solutions. The Sierra Club’s Clean Transportation for All Campaign works at the local, state, and national levels -using a lens of equity and justice- to advocate for incentives and policies that make EVs and other clean transportation solutions less expensive, more accessible, and more convenient. We also work to accelerate clean transportation adoption through widespread public outreach. The Campaign Representative is responsible, as assigned, for planning, coordination and implementation of various clean transportation strategies and activities. Collaborates with and coordinates the Campaign’s activities nationally and with the state Chapters, volunteers and appropriate staffing resources. Develops strategies, implements work plans, communicates priorities and benchmarks, provides leadership, and promotes participation. Represents the Sierra Club to media, community leaders, allies, and the public.
Qualification and Experience Requirements:
- B.A./B.S. degree in an environmental or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in the planning and implementation of campaigns, which includes; strategy, organizing, media relations and contacts with political and organizational leaders.
- Expert knowledge of energy solution issues, preferably including transportation.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Strong understanding of and experience with issues of equity and justice.
- Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with volunteers and coalition allies.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and in teams.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
- Plans and carries out activities for the Campaign. Participates in the development of a strategic campaign plan, goals, and objectives including development of strong grassroots networks to achieve campaign goals. Works with the campaign and appropriate national, regional and Chapter staff, allies, and volunteer entities to plan and implement campaigns that will achieve the campaign’s mission.
- Develops and implements a variety of engagement strategies including online and face-to-face actions to support the campaign.
- Creates and updates online and print campaign educational and advocacy materials.
- Organizes public events. Recruits volunteers and allies to organize public events, and provides event organizing tools.
- Researches issues pertaining to campaign news and opportunities.
- Recruits and cultivates relationships with individuals and organizations to support specific campaign activities. Key allies include people and organizations impacted disproportionately by transportation pollution. Apply in the work the Jemez principles, adopted by the national Sierra Club board of directors.
- Provides conservation training, model policies, tools, information, template materials, and motivation to staff, Chapters and volunteers. Works to develop and ensure that volunteers assume meaningful roles in the program/campaign.
- Participates in media outreach activities related to the campaign/program. Serves as Sierra Club spokesperson to media outlets and promotes volunteer media exposure.
- Write blogs posts and promotes campaign on social media platforms. Represents the Sierra Club to the general public and to strategic allies. Responds to regular emails and calls from supporters and the public who have questions/comments about our campaign. Maintains transportation contact database. Assists with donor communications, cultivation and solicitation under the direction of Conservation staff and Advancement staff.
- Reports on progress toward established goals and the effectiveness of campaign strategies.
- Introduces creative ideas and approaches for consideration.
- Handles miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned.