Senior Energy Polcy Analyst
Organization: EQ Research
Date Posted: 11/14/2018
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Type of Position: Full-Time
Education Requirement: Bachelor's
Experience Requirement: 5+ years
How to Apply
For full consideration, please submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample via email to email@example.com by November 30, 2018. Phase two applicants will be invited for an in-person interview and will be asked to provide references and to complete a writing assignment. We expect to fill this position by January 3, 2019.
Description and Detail
EQ Research LLC is a highly specialized consulting firm founded in 2013 to provide policy and market research, analysis and data services to businesses, government entities, nongovernmental organizations and other stakeholders engaged in the clean-energy sector. EQ Research’s subject matter areas of expertise include financial incentives supporting clean energy deployment; electric utility regulation; electric rate design; grid modernization; and the collective suite of policy issues relevant to distributed energy resources (DERs). In addition to conducting customized research and analysis in response to specific client requests, EQ Research offers subscription-based services (Policy VistaTM) that provide clients with timely insights and intelligence on regulatory and legislative developments across the United States. We have a diverse client base that includes national solar and solar+storage installers and developers; electric vehicle manufacturers and EV supply equipment providers; large energy consumers; environmental- and energy-focused organizations, foundations, and associations; retail electric suppliers; and local and federal governmental agencies, among others.
EQ Research seeks a highly motived, full-time Senior Energy Policy Analyst with at least five years of direct work experience to join our client-focused renewable energy and energy storage policy analysis team. The ideal candidate will have experience researching, analyzing and writing on a wide-range of energy policy, regulatory and market topics of interest to all renewable energy market sectors (distributed, community, utility-scale).
Qualification and Experience Requirements:
- Contribute to and/or lead client-specific work by researching, analyzing, reviewing, editing, summarizing and/or drafting comments in regulatory proceedings in direct collaboration with clients and other EQ analysts.
- Provide qualitative and/or quantitative analytic input on regulatory matters, including but not limited to how different rates, policies, and program designs affect the economic viability of DERs.
- Research, track, analyze, and synthesize state legislative and regulatory developments, as well as general rate case proceedings in coordination with other EQ Research analysts.
- Work collaboratively to develop and implement improvements to subscription products.
- Work independently and as part of a team to develop research reports, white papers and blog posts.
- Collaborate with EQ Research staff and external partners to develop successful project proposals.
- Deliver presentations at regional and national conferences, and via webinar.
- Be flexible and adaptable to the changing needs of our clients.
- Get excited about clean energy policy developments and learning about new issues.
- It is expected that the Sr. Analyst will be able to effectively coordinate efforts and staff on projects for which the Sr. Analyst is responsible.
- Substantial knowledge and subject matter expertise of the U.S. renewable energy industry, electricity markets and trends.
- Direct experience with utility and/or energy policy and regulatory analysis.
- Advanced degree in public policy, economics, environmental studies or related field.
- Excellent research, writing and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Affinity for and keen attention to details.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and manage time well.
- Team player, effective and organized project manager and leader, ability to prioritize and be nimble.
- Willingness to go “above and beyond” in order to meet strict, externally imposed deadlines and ensure our client deliverables are completed on-time, on-budget and to EQ’s standards of excellence.
- 5+ years of experience in renewable energy policy, consulting or directly related field.
- Direct work or research experience related to energy storage technologies and/or policy issues.
- Strong understanding of current retail rate structures, rate design, and utility regulation. Knowledge of wholesale market structures and rates is a plus.
- Technical understanding of renewable energy, energy efficiency, storage, and grid technologies.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities, and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties & responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. USI may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USI provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.