The proposed Duke Energy Solar Rebate Program is currently under the review of the NC Utilities Commission. NCSEA will update our members as soon as we have a status update. In the meantime, please consider this plan a proposal and not yet a program. Click here to view details of the proposed plan.
- The proposed rebate program is intended to provide a financial incentive for Duke Energy Carolinas (DEC) and Duke Energy Progress (DEP) residential, business, and nonprofit customers toward the upfront cost of installing solar at their premise.
- NCSEA, our members and Duke Energy have been discussing design of a solar rebate program since 2016.
- Those discussions led to the inclusion of the rebate in House Bill 589 (HB589), Competitive Energy Solutions for NC, which legislators passed in late June 2017 and Gov. Roy Cooper signed into law. NCSEA, our members and Duke Energy then reached agreement through months of negotiation. Duke Energy filed its proposed rebate program with the NC Utilities Commission on Monday, Jan. 22nd as part of HB589 implementation.
Who can access the rebate and how will it impact the cost and deployment of installed solar in NC?
- The rebate will be available as of January 1, 2018 for residential installations up to 10kW and non-res up to 100 kW.
- Represents 20MW of installed capacity per year for the next five years for DEC and DEP combined. Each year, 5MW will be reserved for non-profit organizations, which can include schools, places of worship, and so on.
|Residential||5 MW/year||5 MW/year|
|Non-Residential (commercial, industrial)||2.5 MW/year||2.5 MW/year|
|Non-Profit (schools, places of worship)||2.5 MW/year||2.5 MW/year|
What are the rebate rates per customer type?
- Residential: 60 cents/watt; capped at $6,000
- Business (“non-residential”): 50 cents/watt; capped at $50,000
- Nonprofit: 75 cents/watt; capped at $75,000
Please contact us with further questions:
- Mike Davis, Director of Strategic Partnerships: 980-722-1480; email@example.com
- Allison Eckley, Communications Manager: 336-414-4972; firstname.lastname@example.org